Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Finally I tried a Man's shirt Reconstruction/Recycling Project!

Here is what I came up with:

I started with a Goodwill purchased man's XL Izod dress shirt and a pair of jeans that were almost too short from her closet...Added these grosgrain ribbon straps and a little blue pleated ruffle for modesty on her chest...The back of the men's shirt is the front now, and the front is now the back -- I had to add some 1/8" elastic inside the top hem on the back of the top to get a good fit. I was able to use the factory hem on the back of the top, but had to create one on the front, but I just traced the exact countour off of the back so it is almost imperceptible.

Cut off the bottom of some bootcut jeans and used them as a pattern to create the fabric piece for the legs. I created them off of the sleeves of the shirt.

I am not used to working without a pattern, so this was out of my comfort zone, but I am very happy with the result and will be doing more of this kind of stuff.

I think it is adorable...Can't wait to make one for my older daughter...

No comments: